Thursday, December 30, 2010

Children's books for the little francophile: Anatole


Anatole by Eve Titus (1956)

My kids and I are currently enjoying Anatole by Eve Titus.  It's a story about a Parisian mouse who decides to make an honest living by becoming a cheese taster.    I love the 1950s illustrations by Paul Galdone in red, white and blue.  My son loved the French flag at the beginning and end of the book.  The text is in English, but a few French words and phrases give the Parisian landscape a bit more authenticity.  You will be happy to find a few voilà, bah, n'est-ce-pas? and C'est la vie! And even learn the names of seven different cheeses: Camembert, Port Salut, Bleu, St. Marcelin, Roquefort, and Brie.

Find it in my bookshop USA, France




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...