Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Martine series




The Martine series is a 1950s classic by Belgian author Gilbert Delahaye and illustrator Marcel Marlier who just recently passed away. The books have become popular in recent years and my daughter has taken a liking to them.  The doll-like children's images remind me of the covers of the fabric patterns my grandmother kept in her sewing room when I was small.  I love the quintessential French scenes (or in this case Belgian, I suppose) of the guignols and children's toy sailboats.   We have the board book format with a simple one line text per page in cursive font.  They are three other larger formats for older children however, albums and the read-to-me series.  With over 50 books in the series, beginning with Martine à la ferme, Martine en voyage, Martine à la mer I don't think we have seen the end of Martine in our house.  We bought ours at our local Monoprix, but you can also find them here in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...