Thursday, March 10, 2011

Americans in Paris

Since I've been in France, I've lost touch with radio. It used to be such a part of my life when I lived in the States, mainly because I spent so much time in my car. In France, however, I have yet to find a radio station where I can leave the dial for more than 10 minutes. I have listened to the occasional good song mix and some interesting interviews, but in all I find them rather infrequent.  

Perhaps I have yet to find the best station or maybe we are just spoilt in the US. I also never use my computer to plug into all the American radio stations...until Cup of Jo turned me onto This American Life.  

Why am I writing about this here? I just listened to the series, Americans in Paris. I wish they would do an updated sequel to this series since this one has been around for a bit. 


For those like me that left the US before this piece aired, here's your chance to catch up.  Listen here.

Act One with David Sedaris in particularly amusing.  Some topics include:

Why not to visit the Louvre
Language anxieties
His fear of not be waited on in a restaurant
Catching the Guignols at the Jardin de Luxembourg
Spoting Judge Judy at the flea market
Love of Picard
Buying the right kind of butter
The Noah's arc of taxidermy, Deyrolle

Be sure to catch Act Two and Three as well.

Image by photographer Todd McLellan entitled Radio. Check out his Paris Pinhole project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...